I’m sure you’ve all heard about the newly popularized way of drinking coffee that includes oil and butter. Its official name is bullet- proof coffee (BPC). It was created by Dave Asprey, the host of Bulletproof Radio and author of the Bulletproof Diet.
So what is bullet- proof coffee? It is certainly not your average cup o’ joe.
According to Bulletproof staff: “it’s a high performance drink that has a massive impact on your energy and cognitive function.” BPC consists of 8-12 ounces of coffee, 1 tsp-2 tbsp of brain octane oil or coconut oil (if you’d like a less expensive version), and 1-2 tbsp of grass-fed ghee (butter). All you do is mix in a blender for a foamy, frothy- like latte.
Originally, BPC is meant to replace eating breakfast. However, if you’re like me and enjoy actually chewing food, simply modify your BPC. For example, I make mine less calorically dense, that way I can enjoy BPC, along with a satisfying breakfast.
There are 3 major benefits to starting your day with BPC:
1. Suppressed hunger- brain octane oil balances gherlin and CCK, your hunger hormones, thus keeping you full and controlling hunger hormones.
2. Steady lasting energy- the saturated fat in ghee helps slow down the absorption of coffee, which aids in a longer lasting supply of energy, without the caffeine spike and crash.
3. Mental clarity- brain octane oil converts to ketones, which is a type of molecule the brain uses more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Pairing ketones with slow releasing caffeine increases energy, focus, and overall mental clarity.
So why brain octane oil (or coconut oil)?
1. Suppress hunger- balances hunger hormones
2. Lose weight- ketones boost metabolic rate, decrease amount of fat your store
3. Think faster- ketones provide your brain with immediate access to energy
4. Better workouts- excellent fuel source. Caffeine from the coffee and clean energy source from ketones.
5. Increase daily consumption and absorption of healthy fat soluble vitamins
You’ll experience essentially the same benefits from coconut oil as brain octane oil, as both are derived from organic virgin coconut oil. However brain octane is 4x more effective at raising ketones.
So why grass-fed ghee/butter?
1. Higher in nutrients- your body craves good fats to balance hormones and promote brain health. Grass fed butter contains omega 3 fatty acids, beta- carotene, fat soluble vitamins, CLA, and antioxidants.
2. Helps brain and digestion- grass fed butter is high in butyrate, which is a short chain fatty acid that can help and prevent inflammation. For any of you with digestive problems- this is important!!
Side notes: Grass fed is the key. It needs to be 100% grass- fed, because that’s where the majority of nutrients will be. It also provides a creamy consistency, a bonus for all those latte lovers out there! Also, for any of you who are lactose intolerant- ghee has most of casein and lactose removed.
- 10 ounces of organic coffee
- 1.5 tsp unrefined coconut oil – I started at 1 tsp. Slowly work your way up to the recommended amount.
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- Cinnamon to taste
- Optional- .5 oz of dairy alternative milk
Blend for 20-30 seconds.
(I don’t currently have any ghee. Otherwise I would add it!)
How to make regular coffee frothy:
For those of you who just want frothy coffee, without all the added ingredients- add 1/2 a cup of milk to a mason jar. Shake for about 30 seconds and microwave 30secs-1 min until it is hot. Pour into coffee and enjoy!